Forums

AMA - [avatar-user:a43135a4-d7b9-49ab-ac8d-a16bb2513c8d]

Hey guys, I'm Ny_. I joined OCN in late 2012, started playing tournaments in Goblet of Gamemodes, grinded public for a few years, won 2 tournaments with PureBlox, got mod, lost mod, OCN shut down, eventually became the head organizer of Badlion tournaments, Badlion shut down, now I'm an EC here! Personally, I started playing OCN waay back in 9th grade, now I'm about to enter my 3rd year of college as a math and comp sci major. :)

So, ask me questions!

got so much ice on my wrist it froze, thoughts?

hi Ny
Favorite gamemode?

do you still play competitively in a serious way?

fav team you've been on?

how'd it feel to be a badlion staff member 😎

favorite tournament played

got so much ice on my wrist it froze, thoughts?

sorry im not a rap fan

hey knee-y

who is your favorite rap artist and why is it travis scott

are u gonna stay in new york after university

wanna go to the swamp with me

i did half a xan thirteen hours til i land had me out like a light

like a light

like a light

like a light -

Favorite gamemode?

On public, I love RageTDMs and KotH maps. I hate how few of them there seem to be, especially when the CTW/DTMs often go hours on here. I admittedly have considered just buying my own server on here and opening it up to host a RageTDM party whenever I want, but they told me I can't choose what maps get loaded. ;P

do you still play competitively in a serious way?

I play sometimes when I'm on a break from school. Right now I'm with Night Doobers which I think is actually the best team right now, but I only really play as a sub when needed and for fun with friends. My bow still isn't too bad but my sword is rusty even compared to how bad it was before which is something lol...I would love to see PureBlox get a bunch of old people back together and reunite for an event but it's hard to organize that and there's still some leftover hard feeling and all that which would make it more trouble than it's worth.

fav team you've been on?

Oh, PureBlox by far. When I began playing tournaments I was always trying to seek out a team which wouldn't just disband whenever it was convenient. It took a few tries but PureBlox ended up being that team. So many close friendships made there, and I still spend a lot of time in the Discord even if it's not really a team now. The success story is also one of my favorites, just because we started out so horrendous and worked our way up to the top. Much of our success can be attributed to synergy, as we would often spend 8+ hours a day scrimming back around Age of Ares - Straight Outta Capture. We were absolutely no-lives, but we had a lot of fun, so who can blame us?

Bladestorm, which was my old team that I ran for a couple tournaments back in 2014, will always hold a bit of a special place in my heart. I had never had any experience leading or anything, so it was very much out of my comfort zone. I basically took a team of immature kids who had never had a chance to compete in anything competitive before (no offense to any of them) and — with the help of a couple of semi-experienced, last-minute recruits — won a series in Conquest. Was a lot of work but I'm still pretty proud of that!

how'd it feel to be a badlion staff member 😎

It was pretty interesting. I always felt that if I had the opportunity to prove myself in a position, that I could. When I got/lost mod on OCN because of an incident regarding some stolen accounts, I was actually a little bit embarrassed because there were people who had put their name on the line and advocated for me to be modded. It's a difficult thing, being a public-facing representative of a larger organization.

Badlion, I felt, was my second chance at the whole staff thing. I'd like to think I succeeded much better that time. I became, for all intents and purposes, the lead Tournament Admin for my final 6-8 months there. It was often frustrating, as many people didn't share my same OCN-tinted vision of what competitive Minecraft should be, and my lack of NDA-level knowledge meant that I was really swinging blind when it came to developing plans. I think I did the best that I could with the situation which was presented to me.

It also might sound ridiculous, but my proudest accomplishment was running the final SG and CTF tournaments those last few weekends. I advocated my ass off for the administration to agree to those tournaments, and due to the circumstances around which they were taking place, I was seriously understaffed for both of them. There were significant stretches of time during the SG tournament where I was the only staff online with 100+ players waiting for their match to be played. Nonetheless, I'm really happy and proud that we got to bring those final events to the communities that wanted them, because it's likely that it was the last time those gamemodes will be played on such a competitive level.

favorite tournament played

Gotta be Age of Ares. Great map pool, so many hours of scrimming, and we just tore through people's expectations of us. Going from the mini-event joke team that couldn't make it out of the qualifiers to the team that came one monument block from taking out the favorites (Dopamine) was the result of an incredible amount of work and practice. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy playing every map in the pool as well, as that was back when I was one of the better players on PureBlox — it's been a long time. ;)

Sounds like every server you get involved with gets shut down. I guess that means it is only a matter of time for stratus. How do you cope knowing that you single handedly have ruined all of Minecraft PvP?

Also, how do floating point numbers work?