This topic is archived and may not be modified. If you believe this is in error, please contact [email protected]

enter image description here

By Ny_ Ny_, DivineWolv DivineWolv, and Subir Subir

Album - Download - XML

Latest Update
v1.2 - Reduced overall amount of islands; Spaced all islands further apart; Made all islands less deep (7-8 blocks -> 4-5 blocks); Split mid into 2 smaller islands; Made side islands higher than mid; Lowered both wool rooms; Made spawn iron regenerate.

About
Mo Bamba is an 8v8 Capture the Wool map, made for the upcoming tournament. Each team has a front wool and a back wool. The back wool has one entrance and a short lane leading up to it, similar to the wools on Deepwind Jungle. The front wool is more difficult to defend and defenders will have to be very alert, as it's attackable from 2 sides. I anticipate teams will be more likely to try attacking the front wools from in front, either flat-bridging or sky-bridging there.

Since my initial version of the map, there are now several islands around mid where teams could realistically meet, however the large mid island still remains the focal point of the map. There is a golden apple spawner in the very middle of mid. The rest of the map is left pretty open; players can bridge basically anywhere to allow for a variety of offensive strategies.

Please give your feedback - I'm excited to see this tested out and I'll keep making tweaks to the map as we see how the gameplay works out.

Updates

• v1.0 - Initial Release
  • v1.1 - Added another island near mid to make mid control less OP, Combined a couple small islands, Moved back front wool, Put both wool rooms on small hills, Split spawn into 2 exits, Split first island into two with a bridge, Significantly expanded size of mid island.
    v1.2 - Reduced overall amount of islands; Spaced all islands further apart; Made all islands less deep (7-8 blocks -> 4-5 blocks); Split mid into 2 smaller islands; Made side islands higher than mid; Lowered both wool rooms; Made spawn iron regenerate.

Update 1.2 is out and should be live on Private Servers and Event tomorrow.

Here is (most of) what I changed:

• Reduced overall amount of islands: I'm hoping this makes painlooping on ground less of a thing
  • Spaced all islands further apart: Again, this should help with painlooping on ground
  • Made all islands less deep (7-8 blocks -> 4-5 blocks): Tunneling was a little too powerful before
  • Split mid into 2 smaller islands: Most people thought mid was way too big in v1.1, now it's broken into 2 L-shaped smaller islands. This aspect may still need tweaking, not sure how these will play.
  • Made side islands higher than mid: I like the idea of side control being important as a way to get good angles onto mid.
  • Lowered both wool rooms: They were a little too raised up, it felt kinda weird before.
  • Made spawn iron regenerate: Often requested change.

I'm still concerned about the wool rooms being too close to the "action" on the map and too rushable. I think removing the close side islands should help, but let me know how this version plays. I also hope that skybridging becomes more viable on the sides now (kinda like Next Gen bridges).

My first impression is that there is so much void (maybe you should add a couple of islands with something like arrows or "special" items such as potions or extra kit) and that the front wool will most likely be left undefended. Sooner or later a team will eventually get it, it looks too hard to defend and quite easy to rush. Not sure how you could fix that to be honest.

where's mo bamba though?

where's mo bamba though?

triplezko 5 months ago

Bamba II: mo' bamba

Can u contribute Sheck Wes for name

going straight to hell with this name

I be ballin' like my nigga Mo

Change name to sicko mode

THe wool with the more void around it will hardly be offended by ground, but rather a big ass sky that is likely to come from that side / mid. the surface around this wool facing the enemy side is way too small to build a proper defense, especially not defend against a skybridge. i dont think extending that surface will fix the problem, so i would recommend adding another island over there

That will help the defenders but also the wool to be rushable by ground with connection to middle, but then the wool might be too close to the mid / island (that i suggested) so might need to move it back a bit or do something like this:

At last, as someone who hopefully will participate in this tourney (and in case this map is intended "TE" for this tourney), i would like to see different and creative aspects of maps, especially ctw which has been played so much to the point where its hard for me to find interest in maps because they pretty much all play the same way. As of now, this current layout, even with the changes i suggested above (the changes i suggested are for balancing, not changing the gameplay), i can imagine the map playing the same way as other maps as i see nothing unique or something that stands out, correct me if im wrong. Try to think of creative stuff to make the gameplay different and interesting, if you need some more suggestions as to how to do that i can help since ive got some ideas in mind.

gl

Like if you clicked on the post just because of the name

My first impression is that there is so much void (maybe you should add a couple of islands with something like arrows or "special" items such as potions or extra kit) and that the front wool will most likely be left undefended. Sooner or later a team will eventually get it, it looks too hard to defend and quite easy to rush. Not sure how you could fix that to be honest.

Campeh 5 months ago

I am interested to see how this front wool plays out, as it as very unusual and is likely to be captured early. I do see teams possibly just not defending it, and while that's interesting, it's not really my goal.

Considering all of the feedback I'm receiving, it seems like most people are thinking that they front wool will be too hard to defend in its current design, so I will likely need to make some major changes to the layout. While I really want to keep the focus on the side skybridge, I think the other team needs to have a reasonable chance at defending against that skybridge.

To address what you said about void, any layout changes would probably mean adding more islands or widening mid.

Change name to sicko mode

THe wool with the more void around it will hardly be offended by ground, but rather a big ass sky that is likely to come from that side / mid. the surface around this wool facing the enemy side is way too small to build a proper defense, especially not defend against a skybridge. i dont think extending that surface will fix the problem, so i would recommend adding another island over there

That will help the defenders but also the wool to be rushable by ground with connection to middle, but then the wool might be too close to the mid / island (that i suggested) so might need to move it back a bit or do something like this:

At last, as someone who hopefully will participate in this tourney (and in case this map is intended "TE" for this tourney), i would like to see different and creative aspects of maps, especially ctw which has been played so much to the point where its hard for me to find interest in maps because they pretty much all play the same way. As of now, this current layout, even with the changes i suggested above (the changes i suggested are for balancing, not changing the gameplay), i can imagine the map playing the same way as other maps as i see nothing unique or something that stands out, correct me if im wrong. Try to think of creative stuff to make the gameplay different and interesting, if you need some more suggestions as to how to do that i can help since ive got some ideas in mind.

gl

Xuph 5 months ago

Interesting idea. From the feedback I've gotten, I do think the side wool needs some significant balance changes. Adding another island on either side of mid would certainly help both with the chokepointy-ness of mid and make the front wool less vulnerable to skybridges. When I rebalance, I will likely consider something like this.

My main thing is I want skybridging to be left open as a realistic option (on most incrediwools maps it seemed like island hopping and groundpushing were the predominant strategies).

I think what makes this map unique is that front wool, and how it implements the NextGen side bridging concept (in particular, the lack of communal skybridges). Here though, your "side skybridge" is just on one side of the map, and on the other side, your job is solely to stop the other team's bridge. I'm still convinced that this is an interesting idea, and I think with a slightly different implementation, it could be successful.

When I build TEs, my main focus is usually on how I can try to twist the way things usually work. Anyway, I've been on a map building binge over the winter break, so I'd love to hear some of your ideas for CTW concepts

I do not own the English vocabulary to express my negative feelings towards making Sheck Jesus masterwork a Minecraft map, making it so ill informed plebeians like BlackLizard think thats where its majorly influential existence stops.

I need to discontinue expressing these feelings, my phone is ringing. I have probably got them hoes calling again...its truly a struggle and a blessing all at once.

PS. I like how the majority of the map is made out of dirt, as Sheck Wes truly came from the mud. I Thank God everyday we made it out the trenches.

New update!

v1.1 - Added another island near mid to make mid control less OP, Combined a couple small islands, Moved back front wool, Put both wool rooms on small hills, Split spawn into 2 exits, Split first island into two with a bridge, Significantly expanded size of mid island.

I got a lot of feedback on Mo Bamba from those who saw the map. I appreciate all of the feedback, as it can be difficult to identify gameplay problems with a map that you personally designed, especially as a new mapmaker. It hasn't been seeing testing, but I think with this latest update it will make for much more interesting and balanced competitive games.

Problem 1: Too much void
I agree that the original version of this map had a LOT of void, which makes it difficult to move around quickly and really limits the number of attack routes. After adding two new islands on the corners of mid, expanding pretty much every island's size, and splitting the first islands outside of spawn into a set of two islands, this problem should be significantly improved.

Problem 2: Front wool hard to defend
The new version of front wool is much different. It is still difficult to defend, as it has 2 viable paths and is quite close to some of those middle islands. On the other hand, it's been pushed back and raised up, so now it's on a small hill and is relatively close to spawn. There's also a full bedrock wall underground which will make tunneling less effective. Overall, I think it will be interesting to see how it plays, but I hope it will be a bit more reasonable for defenders.

Problem 3: Entire map hinges on mid control
The addition of the L-shaped corner islands at opposite corners of mid should make a huge difference here. Teams now have a way to oppose pushes toward front wool and even a way to push back wool without needing mid at all. That being said, the L-shaped island closer to your spawn is really dangerous to lose, as it's only around 12 blocks away from the edge of the front wool defense, meaning the defender will have to be constantly watching it. The placement of this L-shaped island might need some tweaking.
Tunneling on the side of the map could take you behind the front lines and, if you're smart about it, could take you right to their defense. The side island has been stretched out and now has an archer tower/launching pad to give you another angle to get mid from.
Finally, mid is much bigger now, making it a bit harder to defend the whole thing. It's pretty unlikely that a team would be able to hold the mid island for the entire game.

Let me know if you have any feedback on this update. I'd really like to see it tested soon, as it would be really disappointing to have an all old CTW map pool.

do i still have contributor even though you deleted everything i added

I do not own the English vocabulary to express my negative feelings towards making Sheck Jesus masterwork a Minecraft map, making it so ill informed plebeians like BlackLizard think thats where its majorly influential existence stops.

I need to discontinue expressing these feelings, my phone is ringing. I have probably got them hoes calling again...its truly a struggle and a blessing all at once.

PS. I like how the majority of the map is made out of dirt, as Sheck Wes truly came from the mud. I Thank God everyday we made it out the trenches.

Samwellys 5 months ago

shut up

this map is about as good as mo bambas rookie debut.