Forums

Please Fix Stratus, Encourage Defensive Game Play

I'm honestly abhorred by the state that the server is in right now. It's full of trigger-happy people who only wish to seek their instant gratification and fail to enjoy the server to the full extent of its substance. That would not be too bad on paper, but it's come to the point where the concept of defending is next to non-existent. In fact, defending is a thing that people seem to mock presently. I remember the early days of Stratus and the older days of Overcast where winning a game was gratifying because every player played their part either as offenders, defenders, and even other obscure roles that contribute to the match as a whole. I really miss these three dimensional experiences on three dimensional maps (obviously not literally). I'm sick of playing the same crap over and over again but with a different set of pretty (dull) colors and the like. I don't want to be that guy who says that the older days were better, but I cannot think of a recent match I played where there we a legitimate care for defending as well as protecting. When I think of a wall of crafting tables, I feel nostalgic. It feels like such a long time ago. I know that people nowadays have the attention span of nitroglycerine, but there are so many ways to motivate people to defend again. Here are a few that I thought of from the top of my head. They are not necessarily compatible, though some are.

• Breaking and placing blocks near one's own wool room, core, or monument should contribute to award MVP
  • Defender MVP should be a thing
  • Killing players near objectives should have a weight toward MVP
  • Two leveling systems for offense and defense that award raindrops. Having a higher level on defense will also maximize the raindrops receive on offense and vice versa. For example, Level 4 defense awards 400 raindrops, plus 50% if offense is at level 2, or 25% if it's on level one. You get the idea.
  • A new PGM node that allows mapmakers to create a region where placing and breaking certain blocks contribute to MVP, moreover, killing players adds a weight to MVP.
  • New Servers: Objective (BE, Golden Drought), PvP (Temple, Green), Arcade (Cavern, Water Drop)

The state of Stratus is appalling to me. Please fix it.

Lets also add mixed 1,2,3, exclusive UHC servers, arcade, destroy 1 and 2, capture 1 2 and 3, and more. Why not?

Some of your suggestions are the next to impossible. You demand a lot of work for your hardcore desire to have long ass matches. I personally enjoy high pace matches, and I also enjoy defending by just staying near the objective and going melee. I think if stratus were to encourage extreme defense, matches would be stally as hell and in the end unplayable at some point. I dont think stratus can be called broken just because it doesnt work the way you like, but if 15 more players come at me saying they love 40 minute matches I'll shut my mouth.

And btw I used to defend a lot, even in competitive. But nowadays I despise defense since its way too boring.

youre the first person that ive ever met that enjoys hour long games, dont know how you can enjoy sitting at a wall and just bow spamming with 20 other teammates an hour straight

I never asked for long ass defense matches. I've never stated that I liked bow spamming for an hour straight. Now that I think more about it, the real problem is the lack of dynamic. Everything feels too repetitive. Asking for dynamic gameplay is not that hard when you begin to analyze what makes certain maps good, and what makes certain maps sub-par. The points both of you made are so damn biased it's actually damaging. You are correlating what I said to whatever the hell you think I am. I'm not as unorthodox as some of you narrow-minded people think I am. I'm not in the mood to fight, and frankly, I couldn't care less what you think of me, just don't go along assuming that I'm making some sort of hardcore demand because I'm not. I was just snowballing ideas nothing more, nothing less.

So you just randomly hop on stratus and talk for everyone in the server, and demand a needful "fix" along with other random stuff, just because you feel like snowballing ideas?

There are shitposts, and this

I mean some of his ideas are good

I also feel like defending is underrepresented

Please keep this thread on-topic.

some days ago Valkyh got mvp on croak for destroying blocks in his base. He had like 5 kills in a 30 min game and 1000 destroyed blocks. What a great feature, MVP should be like that.
Stratus should be fixed but not in this way

To address your concerns, it's not a thing that we can truly change. Sure, we can add new considerations for an MVP, or more blocks for defending, but it depends on the playstyle of every player. You can't force someone into defending, akin to forcing a literature person into liking maths. As much as you'd like your playstyle to be mainstream, you also have to acknowledge you're not the only player, and hence we also have to appeal to the playstyles of the community. Back in OCN, there were much more diversity to playstyles because people truly play for fun, and not use specific tactics to win maps. There's lesser diversity here in Stratus, and hence more stale gameplay. I can see(my own opinion) some solutions, but not in the short term. We could have new maps, but again, we have few and far between actually usable and viable maps to be played in the rotations. What you feel is boring may be fun to other people,

On the part of the staff team, we have had discussions about making maps less stale, but it's not what we can really achieve within the near future. Again, we're aware of this issue and we're working to improve experiences along with our internal revamps sometime in the future.

well i dont think mvp changes how people play at least not a lot, its rather, as it has been already kinda said, the time and afford it takes to rly defend in relationship to the gratification u get from it is rly a bad deal compared to the time-gratification-ratio u get with rushing and further more defending on small maps is even more boring cus u dont get a lot of pvp even if the match lasts half an hour and defending on ur own is also not contributing to a balanced enjoyable game like ud need at least one person on the other team to defend as well

but the biggest point is probably the gratification thingy like y do people defend azure its cus u can killfarm and well u spawn very close to the monument but thats no the point rn

but to be honest id be rly interested what makes people feel gratification like ok kills and objectives but what else like im not even to sure if winning is rly a thing and if it is then 4team maps are bad cus 75% loose .-.

also ive had this idea to keep e.g. golden apples u obtain from kills upon death to lower the well bad feeling u get upon death but thats just an idea no related to defense

anyways just some thoughts pls dont call the slat police xD