Forums

AMA

Old time OCN/HCF player. Won the first OCN tournament playing for Badlion, played several tournaments on Starfish and won a mini-event on Team Grief. Formerly uploaded videos on https://www.youtube.com/Phair64

I've been playing here a bit recently in my spare time and have become fond of the server/community. I thought it might be fun to take some questions and reminisce about old times.

Glad to see ya back man, what are some of your favorite memories from OCN?

Thanks! It's nice to be back, I had a lot of really fun times in this genre.

Some of my favorites, in chronological order:

1) MonsieurApple used to stream in the early days. I guess I didn't realize until it happened, but I was starting to be considered one of the better players on the server. I got into a wool room he was guarding on RFV2 and killed him, then he made a remark about how I was scary to fight.

Project Ares was my first introduction to PvPing, and that was the first real recognition I got as good at the game. Small moment, sure, but it stuck with me as the first moment I had on OCN where I thought, "Damn, that felt nice."

2) Clutching out the Project Ares vs. Hungercraft tournament. The first tournament that OCN had was against a Hunger Games server called Hungercraft. I forget how the teams were chosen, but it was essentially the best players each server had to offer. The entire tournament came down to the moment in that video. It felt great to close it out!

3) Winning the beta tournament. There was a lot of speculation before the tournament whether Badlion or Starfish was the better team. I was friends with people on both teams and could have joined either, but ended up going with Badlion because I wanted to play closely with them on HCFactions. My choice was vindicated for the time--until Starfish went on to win the next 3 tournaments, defeating Badlion in the finals twice haha.

There are plenty of other happy memories and good times spent with friends, but I would say that's a nice top 3. After Badlion's OCN team fell apart, I increasingly became a more active HCF player than OCN player. If you ask me about my favorite HCF memories it of course becomes a different (and more recent) list.

• Least favorite vegetable

• Cats or dogs

• If you could change the outcome of one (irl) sporting game, what would it be

• Favorite map

• What's something cool about yourself that you wish more people knew

• Would you rather eat one alive cricket or seven dead grasshoppers

Easily would change the outcome of the 2004 ALCS Game 4. Nip that fiasco right in the bud. I'm a big Yankees fan, so watching the Red Sox outclass the Yankees for most of my life has been pretty depressing.

My favorite map is RFV2. Way too many good times on it.

Opinion on the HCF community nowadays and in the past?

UNPHAIR SOY TU FANBOY FUERTE TE AMO

My only opinion on HCF now is that it's a dead genre. Like, it literally does not exist anymore. I checked out some of the servers masquerading as "HCF" and it's not really HCF. You spawn and there are a million signs everywhere telling you to buy a rank for kits. Everyone builds their base immediately next to the road 1k blocks from spawn and traps. There are like 5 different servers so even if you get deathbanned (scaling deathban, which I think is dumb by the way), you just hop onto another one and play there.

HCF in the old days was the shit. The most fun I've ever had on a video game. I could play all day scouting out bases for holes all over the map and looking for people to kill. Back when it was just Shotbow people took it extremely seriously. It was easy to panic in fights, or not know how to teamfight, and die and get banned for 3 days. And it sucked if that happened. But that was the fun in it--that it was a grind to get stuff and the risk of fighting was so big. It felt extremely rewarding to get kills. The community could be toxic, and I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I'd even let it get ahold of me, but I still made a bunch of great friends in my time there, some of whom I keep in touch with to this day.

favourite hcf memory?

Oh man, there's so much I could talk about here. EOTW victories, palace wins, 1v1 wins, just random happy memories. But my favorite memory has to be an epic shitstorm that happened in Map 10 (Early-Mid 2013).

Basically, Strawhats were top dog for the first 4 weeks of this map. They had the best and most active players, and would just run around the map killing everyone at KOTH, in the end, on raids, etc. About two weeks in, ApacheBlitz left Strawhats and made a new faction called flowr. Badlion had gone inactive so I joined up with him, and after getting raided once we were Strawhats' main competition.

Over the course of the map a huge rivalry developed between Strawhats and flowr, and it started getting ugly. There were cheating, alting, and DDoS accusations on both sides. One night we got them down to 3 DTR and we wanted to make our move.

For the first kill, we jumped a 1v1 between Apache and Jarl_Heisenberg.

For the second kill, we broke into their base and got the only guy afking in our accessible area.

Then for the last kill, a former Strawhats member who had since joined flowr but still had a pending invite into Strawhats joined their faction and suicided to make them raidable. Due to all the bad blood and feeling pretty strongly about it, I leveled their entire, beautiful WIP base

The fallout from this was absolutely tremendous, and waking up the next morning was like Christmas. The subreddit was filled with salt and people crying about flowr being scumbags.

I eventually became friends with a lot of the guys in Strawhats and feel pretty bad about what I did, but at the time it was my favorite thing to happen. And it's still a guilty pleasure of mine when I remember it.