Forums

Upgrade the Rotations

This server has so much potential to the be the next OCN. The problem is that the maps on the Rots are terrible and is very difficult to enjoy. There is way to many koth and TDM maps in the rots and I personally think that Koth/tdm should be moved to its own gamemode or the rotation for them should be minimized. The CTW maps are very bland and not even favored by OCN players. Ring run is ok, Wits end is terrible but its still ctw. What happened to Race for vic 3/2, Turf wars, Fourchette, Circus, Royal garden.

The biggest problem with Stratus is the maps suck. Almost everytime I get on its a Koth map. I back out right away. Playing for 1+ hour is difficult and thats why Stratus can't keep a solid playerbase. I don't get why KOTH needs to be that relevant in the rots because back in OCN no one played them. For the people who do like Koth, there should be a separate mode with KOTH/TDM. I know separating modes on a small can be questionable but the players will stop leaving every single time there is a bad map. If I wanted to play KOTH why not go play another server?

CTW needs to be played more and with better maps. Koth/tdm should be its own thing for people just to warm up on. If Stratus does this players will stop leaving every round due to a bad map. I also realized when a KOTH map comes on there is alot of spectators. When a good CTW comes on usally from suggestions or a poll, almost everyone in the lobby plays and sometimes the games are full. The main ctw rots from ocn should be moved here.

stratus isnt trying to be a direct copy of ocn, just because there werent any koth/tdm maps on ocn doesnt mean stratus cant, but i agree that a couple more ctw maps would be nice

Most players who play stratus are from OCN. Meaning the have similar opinions. I'm not saying koth sucks, but it isn't as fun as ctw/dtc for most players. I think moving it to its own thing would be nice. It would probably just be 5v5 on koth which is fine and also say if a round is taking to long from defense and such, people can just go play koth or something instead of leaving the server!

Okay first off, the MapDev team gives a lot of thought into the rotations, so it's not just put together last-minute without care. The maps aren't terrible. Sure, some maps may be better than others, but it also all varies on people's opinions. Some people love KotH and TDM, not me personally, but some people love it. Because it's just solid PvP without objectives. You know who is winning, how long the match will last, everyone is there to fight and not defend or rush. In addition, KotH and TDM are not filling up all the rotation spots when you look at it. So, I do agree in that I personally prefer objective gamemodes. But not everyone does, so it keeps a good variety for the community. As for the amount of KotH and TDM in rots, well, of 81 total current rotation maps, 12 are KotH and 7 are TDM.

As for the seperate gamemode thing you mentioned, well: Having 2 servers up is just totally unreasonable sadly. Honestly, it would vastly help the server in some ways, but there is just no way to have good gameplay going on in both. Not enough people. Even at its peak when it's around 30v30 on mixed, if you split it, that's still gonna be only around probably 10v10 for the other server with 20v20 on mixed. And if you get down to when mixed is around 10v10, well, that's not gonna work at all.

As for the map selection, there are some older nostalgic maps on rotations. The Nile is usually in rots, usually an RFV, usually a Golden Drought. This time around, there is no Nile, most do have it though. NextGen, a remix of RFV2 that improves gameplay, is in rotation, Golden Drought III.V is in rotation. Fourchette, Circus CTW, Royal Garden CTW, and Turf Wars have all been in rots at least a couple times. Of course, not all of them are always in rotations. Honestly, some of these maps just aren't great. Sure, they're nostalgic and that is a legitimate reason for a map to be in rot, but you can't go totally based off of it. And nostalgia can make you believe a map is amazing when it maybe isn't, but again, if people enjoy a map for nostalgia, heck, they're still enjoying it. They just can't go totally based off of that.

In addition, other, newer maps are being made, and these can be amazing maps that deserve a rotation spot. And if you have some certain maps you really dislike, then go to this thread and give some feedback: https://stratus.network/forums/topics/5c4f7d58f719c20001001fdc

Wow I rambled a lot here, but I hope I got my points across. I'm not trying to totally attack you here, just defending the rotations and maps in general.

If you haven't already, check out the entire current rotation here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Aww5DYss_JAyyQ-Wf4esz0eSqBipfBNR-B5QUk1QDk/edit#gid=0

a separate server for koth/tdm could easily cause problems for stratus, when badlion made separate servers for koth and ctf it killed off the conquest community because there weren't enough people to fill up the servers so they died. it could be possible for stratus to pull off something like this but it would decrease the variety in mixed and the play count would go down. I definitely don't think stratus is going to do anything like this with the current player count

staff  if this man doesnt deserve mod i dont know who does

We are currently exploring ways to reduce the overall impact of Conquest maps clogging up rotations without reducing the amount of them available drastically. We simply don't have the resources to move an entire gamemode to its own server, but we still want to provide these maps to the people that enjoy them.

I personally enjoy tdm/Koth on public much more than ctw cos this is a pvp server and I come to public to do that and not bow over a void gap/ get bowed for 10 useless minutes

i have to agree dtm/c and ctw are more fun then the other stuff. also will koth/tdm etc. get their own server when oa comes along?