Forums

Let’s talk about Stratus Ethics

Cheats

At this point it is almost ridiculous. On this server it can sometimes feel like there are more cheaters than there are legitimate players. The most blatant players can go unbanned, and in best case they get banned then appeal it, or just ban evade constantly. There is no anti cheat, not even a simple autoclicker detector. There are so many cheaters in competitive, and many public regulars who are cheating as well

Twynics said it well when he put this message in the Bluedu and the Boys discord: “This server is making people who wouldn’t cheat, decide to because of other blatant ass people and it’s getting to such a shit position. They need an anticheat soon.” I myself tried to get cheats several months ago, but I couldn’t figure it out. This is demonstrated very well in the case of Gitano3. He said that he cheated because he was tired of fighting so many cheaters, and he wanted to level the playing field. Not the brightest idea but it still shows that many would-be legitimate players are starting to download cheats. The cheating scene is starting to spiral out of control. Sure you aren’t allowed to cheat, but most of the time the rules aren’t enforced. Stratus may as just allow people to cheat, as it won’t change anything, it will just level the playing field.

Anticheat

An anticheat is way overdue. There clearly isn’t even an autoclicker detection, as Mattjames autoclicked for months without setting it off, and several more people still are autoclicking, and some are recording themselves doing it. Basic fly hacker detection isn’t even there on public. It is ridiculously easy to cheat here and that is shown by the vast amount of people doing it, whether on Mixed, Ranked or in scrimmages and tournaments.

Almost every other pvp server has an anticheat for reaching or kill aura, and some even have made their own clients (BLC, CheatBreaker, Lunar Client) in order that the most people get banned as possible. Stratus is way behind any other server in terms of cheat detection and cheater banning. Not even a simple anti cheat for the most basic of hacks. This is a huge issue that could go a long ways to clearing the server of cheating players.

Solutions: Develop an anticheat or use the BLC anticheat.

Staff

When I say mods or staff I mean as a group, not everything applies to all mods or staff. In fact some staff are pretty good.

The general idea of a moderator here as seen by the community is that a player who is friends with staff members becomes a moderator. Most of these moderators can barely ban a person reaching 5 blocks. Anonymous said that “who the fuck cares lol stratus isnt at all competitive, its pretty much a joke cheaters are getting unbanned after like 8 months of getting hit and there are still cheaters being blatant on ranked and staff couldnt give less of a shit and are busy banning people who say [n word] in mixed global.” And while that is somewhat of an overstatement a lot of it is correct. Most moderators are incapable of looking at a player and deciding that said player is cheating, whether they are reaching 4 blocks, using an aimBot, autoclicking, or velocity. Most of the mods we have are chat mods, or very basic cheat mods. It seems like the most important part of a moderator has been thrown out the window: that they need to be able to detect cheating players and ban them. Instead, a lot of players who can do that are not staff members, because they don’t want to be associated with this staff team, or because they had a chat infraction a few months ago for calling someone an idiot or a retard. Right now the only qualifications you need for mod it seems are whether you are professional and are you friends with a staff member.

A lot of moderators don’t care about banning cheaters. I myself have asked moderators to come watch some cheater during a scrimmage to get evidence and they flat out say no. I remember then asking amactus to come spectate, and then he sent the moderator that said no to watch. As soon as amactus went to bed, the moderator left. It seems that Stratus as a whole would rather ban people who are rude in chat than the community members who are reaching 5 blocks.

Yes it is harder to tell if a player is cheating from 3rd person. It is much easier to tell if you fight them. However, some mods are so garbage at pvp that they will be destroyed by anyone and be unable to tell, so that won’t work for all mods. Most moderators usually aren’t fighting competitive cheaters. I really don’t care about infamous public cheaters either, but it’s a wonder that they haven’t been banned yet as most mods are public players. The best way to tell a cheater is to fight them. Sadly, first person evidence is immediately thrown away and doesn’t matter. Stratus tells the community members to record the cheaters, but why? It isn’t their job to do it, and likely the report will be denied for lack of evidence. No player wants to stop scrimming to get shitty 3rd person evidence when 1st person evidence is super clear most of the time. It’s the moderators job, so stop trying to give the job to the players because most mods are incompetent or couldn’t care less.

Solution? Replace half the staff with people who actually know what the term 5 blocking means, and who are fighting cheaters regularly. Allow first person evidence, actually try to get players banned.

Appeals

There have been numerous cases of blatant cheaters being banned (good job actually for banning them stratus lol) then being unbanned a few weeks later because “there wasn’t enough evidence,” or “we had doubts” or some shit like that. I have talked with many a moderator who all say that the once-banned player managed to argue his way out by saying he was doing good w-taps, or he was misplaced, or whatever. That’s a bunch of shit and I can’t believe that you would believe the player.

A good example of this is caerry (sorry caerry) I don’t believe he cheats now, but I could be wrong. If you don’t know who caerry is, he was on heartclaw I think when he was cheating and now is on bait (or was idk). Anyways caerry was using huge amounts of reach for weeks before the stratus conquest tournament, in November?? It is not an overstatement that he was reaching 6 blocks. Any moderator should be able to detect that right? It took stratus weeks to ban him, when enough evidence should have been gotten from one scrimmage. Caerry wasn’t even toggling it on and off, it was constant vast amounts of reach. You would think that 3 weeks of evidence would be enough to get him banned. After one fight against him any player could tell he was blatant. 3rd person evidence would be obvious from any angle. And there should have been a lot of evidence, expect a lot of the mods didn’t care it seemed. My teamates seemed to be recording more than any moderator. So yay caerry was finally banned after a few weeks, but then a few weeks later he is unbanned like wtf. Apparently the evidence was shit. Hold on. Team of ~20 moderators? Multiple community members recording most scrimmages. Let’s say 25 people recording right? If they all got 5 minutes of different footage, that’s over 2 hours of cheating. Let’s say only 10% of the evidence is good enough to be put into a report. That’s ~12 minutes of nice evidence. 2 hours over 3 weeks from 25 people isn’t even a lot, but it should still be enough to ban him, which it was. But how did he appeal that? By saying this part I w tapped really good, and this part I was laggy, and this part I was misplaced? You are telling me that the staff believe that? Or am I just completely missing a whole part of appealing bans? Good w tapping doesn’t give you 7 or 6 blocks of reach. It doesn’t give you reach at all. Misplacement does, but it’s easy to tell if they are misplaced. And it’s also easy to tell if they are lagging. Idk what bs things he said in the appeal but there is no way it should have been enough to unban.

This phenomenon has happened countless amounts of times on stratus and is still happening

Ban evasion

A lot of this happening I should have to explain it.

Misplacement

This has been around way to long, so fix it for heavens sake. It’s letting people appeal who cheat and ruining games, and is breaking dtc and water.

Falsebans
Screensharing

I think this is most of what I wanted to say, please don’t take offense at anything, I’m just trying to list all the problems here that need fixing. I’ll probably add something else.

Looks like I remembered the TLDR

People are cheating who otherwise wouldn’t. We need an anticheat. A lot of staff are incompetent and can’t tell a cheater from a legit player. Not accepting 1st person evidence is dumb. Staff seem to generally not care. Blatant cheaters appeal and get unbanned if they are unlucky enough to get banned.

Also just wanted to put this in here: “at least Lucas banned zeeb and hes actually done more work in like 2 months than the whole staff team.” Somewhat true again and good work lucas.

Leave a comment below saying your thoughts if you want

Good shit dragon. We already talked 'bout that, i agree on 100%.

Yeah i wrote this cause of that talk

The only thing I would do now is get more staff that knows whats needed to ban competitive players. And for the anticheat thing, lets w8 till operation ares launch and lets get an anticheat as soon as it launches.

Also yes, each day theres more gitano3 like guys who cheat to be at level, a level that is this "high" due to cheaters

Edit : Who was the mod left instantly after amactus went to bed? Because he really needs to be demoted

con este post hicieron mod a mi amigo felipu feliu

I think AntiCheat would be expensive and/or hard to develop, but at any rate I think that's something that would be done with Operation Ares, right? At this point it wouldn't make sense to make one and totally revamp it a few months or whatever later (It would still be helpful, though, it just wouldn't make sense right now)

And also for mods, if a mod is consistently taking care of toxic people or blatant hackers on mixed, I don't see why they should be demoted. Just cause they're not particularly helping out the competitive scene, shouldn't mean they're a bad moderator. Stratus public is already wayyy better than other servers' public, cause those hardly ever have actual staff online and the anti-cheat either takes awhile to ban them or usually, never happens (during the match) Sure it can still be improved, just like any server, but honestly, these mods are still being helpful, no need to screw over public. As for the competitive side, maybe some more competitive mods would be helpful. Just, you need to be careful, cause even if they are good at detecting slight cheats, they might be annoying, or grudged against certain players. But all things considered, that's not a bad idea, you just don't want people that can only detect slight cheats