Forums

A Case for Directrix

Shucks Howdy!

In my secret evil agenda to collect as much data as possible, I've been able to stat matches and network growth rates over the past several months. But that's something to flaunt another day; right now, I want to make a statistical analysis on the widely debated Directrix to ultimately add extra time to the existing limit.

Before you get all opinionated and let us know how much rage sucks, take a second to look at the numbers.

The Numbers ##

I generated a spreadsheet using a data dump of raw duration times from every Directrix match played from 22 July 2018 to 3 April 2019, yielding a sample size of N=346. I used native Excel functions to generate the relevant numerical properties, as well as a p-test for a mathematically justified time limit. (Unfortunately I forgot how CSV works, so the actual step formulas were lost.)

If you don't have Excel or don't want to download a random spreadsheet, here's the important information:

Directrix Match Length Distribution

The data qualifies for normal distribution.

Averages Directrix matches per day: 1.357

Minimum Duration: 2 seconds (likely in error)

Maximum Duration: 44 minutes, 29 seconds

Median: 10 minutes, 17 seconds

1st-3rd Quartile: ~7-10 minutes

IQR: 8 minutes, 5 seconds

Average: 12 minutes, 3 seconds

St. Dev: 7 minutes, 12 seconds

Given the match time limit of 15 minutes across this data, the sample shows a mere 65.92% chance of completing a game. It simply isn't feasible to play a match where both sides are equally yoked. Sure, stalemates happen -- but shouldn't have to a third of the time.

Instead, I would like to point out that a few more minutes go a long way.

• 20 minutes would make for a victor 86.55% of games
  • 25 minutes would make for a victor 96.41% of games
  • 30 minutes would make for a victor 99.37% of games

As much as I love Directrix, I can agree 30 minutes is too long despite its promising win rate. Conversely, 15 minutes is far too short. People who already hate it still hate it, but people who already like it won't have the proper "closure" for the lack of better words.

In conclusion, I suggest 20-25 minutes of gameplay at the least.

Counter Claims ##

But the length of Directrix is already long compared to other CTFs!

Yeah, it is. The average Directrix duration is 722.83 seconds and non-Directrix CTF durations average to 483.44 seconds, which makes Directrix about 1.5 times longer than other CTFs. Here's my counter-counter-claim: don't treat Directrix as a CTF. It's a rage CTF and actually fits in quite nicely compared to other rage CTFs (Lost World: CTF averages 736.28s N =57 & Canopy averages 575.06s N =115).

Look at this this way, The Nile isn't just like any other DTM (arguably). Its average duration is 1524.67s (N=66) and non-Nile DTMs last an average of 490.35s (N=4,680). It has a similar polarity of durations--that is, seemingly lasting either two minutes or two hours. There are no mode changes and so the only thing that breaks the stalemate is the fluctuation of players over time. In terms of duration, Directrix is no different aside from the fast-paced arcade feel that rage gives.

Player ratings show a very polarized view on the map

That they do:
Directrix Ratings

(Circa similar period, photo OP Crazy_ )

It should also be said that there are probably more negative ratings that aren't here due to participation bias. But yeah, people either love or hate this map; I would argue the haters generally dislike rage, but the lovers(?) like the map itself. That doesn't make the map any more innocent for future considerations, but it's a noteworthy element.

Directrix/CTF takes up too much of the rot as is. It's been on every recent rot and appears twice on Mini.

Got your back, Jack. Take a gander at the real criminals:

Type Durations
Holistically, there's not much difference here. The average duration -- like, all-matches-considered average -- is only about 8 minutes. Core & monument maps take the most time, but it's no coincidence that mode changes seem to happen at 10- and 15-minute marks. I haven't calculated the global sample standard deviation of match lengths, but I would take a guess that 20-25 minutes would fall no greater than two z's away from the mean. Do with that as you please.

Type Frequencies
Note that these graphs were generated with N=27,361 and their longevity should retain accuracy. Without much elaboration necessary, I'll point out that CTW takes up far too much of the rotations. I get that it's the most popular gamemode, but realizing that it's only sometimes playable gives it quite the disadvantage.

Overall, there's a (close enough to) 1-to-1 ratio for pro-Directrix players and anti-Directrix players, yet its representation is meek in comparison given when it's available on the rotations.

There's no real progress in a game of Directrix.

That's true and can be extended to the host of maps that don't have building involved.

In rage, a few really good defenders can stalemate the game.

Also true for just about any game, regardless of type. This is largely why, if there aren't better attackers, the map should at least have some time limit.

Rage sucks

Something something out of the scope of this essay.

You're biased towards Directrix because that's the only thing you're decent at.

Oof. I'll gladly admit it though: I've come to dislike most maps and the TL;DR is that Directrix is the only map I enjoy on Stratus, and Stratus is the only reason I play Minecraft anymore, and Minecraft is one of a couple games I'll actually play. To what should come as no surprise, the first several people I purchased ranks and tokens for seemed overwhelmingly pro-rage. That gets back to the agenda stuff, but yes, I'm hoping these numbers show a different approach to one of many problems.

If you'd like to challenge my numbers or query my database for further proof, PM me on Discord and I'd be happy to take a look. I kind of maade this up on the spot and didn't anticipate this being so lengthy, so my apologies if my arguments are trash.

~[avatar:1e4cbacc-0fb5-445a-a99d-7c76f9d0b564] Siceth

it shoudlnt because i died 40 times once on it

Directix is the single only CTF map I like, but I think 20-25 min on it is too long.

Keep in mind we're not magically declaring all future matches 20-25 minutes in length. Historically, they would actually complete in about 15 minutes anyway, and between 25-33% of what would be stalemates won't be for the tradeoff of a few extra minutes (which is negligible in the grand scheme of all matches).

Amazing work wow! Totally agree with you, people can't seem to compromise for some reason. Why can't RAGE players enjoy the three maps we have in the rot, compared to the ~80 normal maps?

It isn't really nice to shitpost in a topic that took Siceth so much time to make.

remove that cancer from the rot

Jesus Christ this man is legendary

That was very well put together, good job man

This was a very well-written post. I didn’t think you were working on something like this at all. I think a 20 or 25 time limit is reasonable for that map. People will just have to suck it up and either take a break from Stratus while the map runs or end it themselves. No one can force the player base to like Rage, but it would very helpful for people to explain more in detail why they dislike it so we can reach a common understanding. That being said, the slew of common Rage TDMs and CTFs should be the only be in 2 categories per rotation update. This seems fair compared to the amount of DTC, DTM, and CTW mixed in.

Also, “Take a gander at the real criminals” is my favorite quote here lol